Thursday, January 31, 2013

Sometimes I get it all wrong

It makes me laugh when people say they're scared of me. The concept truly is hilarious, I'm one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. I'm compassionate, caring, empathetic, attentive and above all, reasonable. Every one of these things robs me of the ability to be a "true Dom." And I'm about two seconds away from saying fuck it all. Either I should just be a douchy dom, they seem to get all kinds of respect, or just hang up my Dom hat. I am just a girl after all, I'm not deserving of it anyway. Aren't I just a submissive who hasn't found the right Dom anyway? (as all women are) [demi-rant and MASSIVE sarcasm font]

Sometimes I get it all wrong, I do all the wrong things, and make all the wrong moves. Yes, I fuck up, and when I do, I like to fuck up big (there's no point in being half-assed about a fuck up). My propensity to be compassionate often drives me to do it all wrong, there's no one to blame but myself. 


For example, I poo poo'd Doms who had to capitalize "Me" or "Her" or "Him," and had their submissives lower case "i." All I could think was what assholes were they to demolish one of the basic tenants of English grammar for their own ego. How naive of me. Now I understand it, and it has nothing to do with a Dominant's vanity, it has to do with maintaining the balance in the relationship with a submissive. This was lost on me, assuming that balance was maintained by daily or ritualized contact. Not being a submissive, I don't know how their minds work, though I do try, so I couldn't see that they need this reaffirmation. NEED it. As foreign of a concept as this is to me, I need to accept it for the well-being of all involved. So chalk that one up as a tick in my failure column.

I also failed to understand that though some choose to submit to me, that doesn't mean they don't need a not so friendly reminder of this, often. The concept that one would be forced in any way to submit to me is appalling; however, that doesn't mean that they don't need forcible reminders of their role and responsibilities. It's another component of reaffirmation that I missed. *chalks another tick in failure column*

Sometimes as a Dominant it feels as though I'm working terribly hard, rolling that rock up the hill a la Sisyphus, and the submissive is just sitting there watching and waiting for their turn to receive some magnanimous attention. About halfway up the hill I think "y'know, some help would be nice," and where I fail is when I think that it's not their job to help. HELL YES IT'S THEIR FUCKING JOB. A relationship, ANY relationship requires both parties to PARTICIPATE, if it's just one, then fuck it, that's not a relationship, that's mental and emotional masturbation, and really that's what twitter is for. Here I was thinking that I'm supposed to do all the heavy lifting, such a falsity I told myself, and allowed myself to not only believe but live. No, boys and girls, that's not the right path. To believe that because it's hard it's right is fooling yourself, not to mention robbing you of what happiness should be. Life is hard efuckingnough without adding difficulties. Let's not do that, k?

So yes, getting it wrong sucks, but you know what's worse? Not realizing you've fucked up. Look, I'm not about to become someone's submissive because I made a mistake, I may be on some figurative rant about dropping it all, but I won't. It would be like giving up sex, or food, sure you can do it for a while, but it's not pleasant nor can you survive for long without either. (Okay, you can SURVIVE longer without sex, but it's just not fun). I suppose the best thing is learning and growing, evolving and becoming better. So yeah, I get it wrong, but I'll be goddamned (which I would be if I believed in God) if I'm going to stay stagnant in that or anything.

3 comments:

  1. I think that in a lot of ways, we are a lot alike. We share a similar orientation in how we interact with and wish to relate with others.

    You may be surprised to know that I've had similar thoughts, so we can rule out that it's just personal to you. Yes, there is part of it that you experience that is wholly personal, but clearly there's more here than that.

    I think the tough thing about being a Dominant for me is that it's how I think and see the world. The more I embrace who I am, the stronger this becomes. Really, there is no time when I am not being that.

    So, it can be difficult at times, when you don't have a relationship with someone where they are intentionally submitting to you. Hell, it's difficult even if you *do* have that relationship with someone! LOL.

    I get the sense that I will probably be dealing with this issue and working towards a reasonable resolution for the rest of my life! ;-)

    Two points stand out:
    1. Relationships, regardless of nature or orientation, require both parties to participate. Abso-fucking-lutely!
    2. Believing that "because it's hard it's right" is totally foolish. If anything, it shows that one is on the *wrong fucking path*. No goodness is down that path... I've already looked :-/

    Excellent job on this post, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! The same way people don't love others for being perfect, they just love them, people don't submit to a dominant because they're always right, they just submit to them. Right? That makes it better anyway. I always write female dominants with flaws and problems because they're not superheros. They're figuring it out, and my submissive male characters love them and let them.

    Unrelated technical question: Why can't I follow this blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the feedback.

    I know logically there isn't a "right" way, but there's some part of me that believes there is, and that I am failing at it, that's something I'll always battle, hearing voices in my head that defeat me.

    I prefer flaws in people, for several reasons, it comforts me to know that others have failed and survived, and flaws make life more interesting.

    Technical response: I have no clue. I'll add a follow widget to make it easier.

    ReplyDelete