Wednesday, January 6, 2016

What is knowledge

Knowledge, "book" knowledge is something quite different from wisdom. In French there are two different verbs for "knowing" something or someone. Savoir is the know in the sense of understanding, passing a test, whereas connaître is to truly know, deep, personal, even intimate knowledge of someone or something.

So when one spends countless hours learning about a subject, let's say sex, or Psychology, or relationships, and finds all that information merely white noise that leads to realizing you're Jon Snow - you know nothing. That, my friends, is frustrating.

The challenge is that when seeking information, what we really want is wisdom. Though the more I read, the less I know. Je le sais, mais au même temps, il n'y rien que je connais. (I know it, but at the same time there is nothing I *know*). The truth is, the only way to learn is to live, and to fuck up. The fucking up part seems to be the easiest for most of us, it's the learning from it that presents the issue.

I'll still spend hours reading, trying to learn, unsure if any connaître is happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment